a couple of weekends ago i had a hideous hangover and the only thing i wanted in the world was macaroni cheese and for someone to tell me it was going to be ok. i spent all day gathering my strength to go and buy a ready made mac n cheese from sainsbury’s and by the time i got home i was so drained from the experience i didn’t want it. i had that for lunch at work and it was ok, but i felt like the time had come to make my own.
luckily on sunday i wasn’t hungover at all and so i decided to make this for my friends. it was so good i’ve been telling people about it all week. also if you put it on a bed of spinach with some tomatoes it makes it look 4% healthier.
this is what you will need to make it:
(this serves 4 people)
40g plain flour
1 pint of milk
50g red leicester
this is what you need to do:
1. boil a pan of water and cook your macaroni whilst you prepare the sauce
2. melt the butter in a saucepan and then pour in the flour and mix together
3. heat the milk in the microwave to take the edge off (and to stop it from making the sauce lumpy) then gradually pour into the saucepan with the butter and flour. mix this really well and keep mixing it
4. leave to cook for about 10 mins. keep stirring this so that it forms a lovely thick smooth sauce
5. add the grated cheddar and red leicester and mix into the sauce
6. add the drained macaroni and mix loads
7. place the pasta in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the parmesan
8. chuck this under the grill until it’s nice and golden and serve with your token salad ingredients