i went through a phase where i was a bit obsessed with making this soup. i’m kind of over it now but a few people have asked for the recipe so here it is…
you will need:
1 litre of chicken stock (i use the liquid stuff but you can use stock cubes if you are poor)
2 tbs fish sauce
juice from 2 fresh limes
2 fresh chillis (remove the seeds and just use one if you are a pussy)
knob (ha) of ginger (peeled and sliced)
2 stalks of lemongrass (chopped in half and crushed a bit)
1 tbs sugar
couple of cloves of garlic
handful of coriander (make sure it’s rinsed as it can be gritty)
4 lime leaves
king prawns (it’s good with chicken too)
what to do:
1. bring the chicken stock to the boil, whilst this is heating up prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. once boiling bring it back down to a simmer and add the ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chilli.
3. leave this for 10 mins and then squeeze in the juice from the 2 limes, add a tablespoon of sugar and the fish sauce. i then like to leave it for another 10 mins just so all the flavour is released into the stock.
4. add the beansprouts and king prawns. this soup is also great is you have leftover chicken knocking about in the fridge that you want to get rid of.
5. serve in nice little soup bowls like mine and it serve hot. as my mum always says “a tepid tom yum is a friend to no one” (stolen from nigel slater)